Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

The Thetford Safari 2014
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Thetford Safari 2014

The Thetford Safari 2014 6 years, 4 months ago #8312

Safari 2014

It’s always a bitter sweet moment for me when I start to write about our meets and rides, bitter by virtue that I’m sat in front of my lap top tapping away at the keyboard knowing that the moments are all consigned to history, and sweet because I get to do it all over again, albeit doing it through memories.

It gets better every year

We have been fortunate enough to enjoy some great Safaris with each year surpassing the previous one in terms of the riding and of course the evening craic and banter, and this year was no exception with some very funny (and “ahem” enlightening moments) being discussed over a beer or two.
Who’d have thought that when they left home in a state of grace and innocence that they’d be so corrupted by the time that they reached home again?
Personally I associated a cup with hot or cold beverages, or at a push a cup of cheer but for the love of God what sort of person does these sort of things I think I might have a case of PTSD!!
Anyhow back to the plot, the weather (not blowing ones own trumpet here) was as ordered, hot and dry; come to think of it I think I’ll have a word with the big man upstairs more often and see if he can turn me into a riding God…
Ben and I left in glorious sunshine and had a nice but uneventful ride over to Banham, whereby we stopped to brim the tanks at Thetford ready for the following days shenanigans, with Ben filling twice once into his Husky’s main tank and the second into the gallon container in which we’d modified a tail bag bolted to his rear mudguard; however as it turned out Dan’s route saw everyone able to fill up as and when they needed so the modification wasn’t strictly necessary , but it did at least relieve the potential stress of having to break a trail if his bike drank a bit more fuel than anticipated.
So a big thank you to Dan for the planning and execution.

Filling up at Thetford

The campsite and the devil is in the details.

We arrived at just gone lunchtime and were greeted by Tom and Dan, plus one of our newest members Ferdie, or as someone who shall remain nameless (Ben) put it Norfolk’s Russell Brand, a very shy and retiring type of chap NOT! This guy exudes enthusiasm for the whole ATR ethos; of riding camping and great commraderie.

Arriving at the camp.

Dan and Tom chillin' in the sunshine.

This was my first try at using a tarp and it worked well at keeping the dew off of the tent and from around the porch area.

OB1- Dave setting up his tent.

SGR and SteveR having a chat around the camp (this is probably the last picture that we'll see of the Panzer)

Barry - Africamadness setting up his gymnasium.

As the heading says the devil is in the details, or to put it another way what a bloomin good idea.
As you know Dan and Tom arrived on Thursday and went out for a reccy ride of the trails in preparation for Saturday, so in case anyone who hadn’t attended before arrived Tom marked his tent with an ATR sticker.

Certainly not to be mistaken for another group.

Is it an event tent or is it a house? Before our arrival Dan and Tom had brought and erected a 9 metre Gazebo? just in case the skies turned sour, which due to the balmy weather thankfully wasn’t needed, this really is a case where you’d rather not need it and have it than need it and not have it, so a big thanks’ to the pair of you.

Hank Marvin, and the mammoth gazebo in the background.

As people arrived old and new friendships were renewed or started, and the camp was taking on a real buzz of happiness, plus of course as this was a bike led event the usual looking at each other machines took place rather like dogs sniffing each other in the park or street.
There was however one bike that I was particularly waiting to see turn up, which was piloted by SteveR who had made a 5hour trip over to be with us aboard his 400 Honda (the engine being based on my XR400 only with the magic button) and what a peach of a bike it turned out to be, in almost as new condition.
Sat there totally content bathed in the warm afternoon sunshine conversations would momentarily stop as we heard the not too far off sound of an approaching bike, and like Meercats heads would turn in unison with their eyes following their ears scouring the entrance road for the familiar outline of a motorbike.

SteveR's set up with the sweet NX to the rear.

As evening fell and a couple of beers and wine were consumed the conversation flowed; you know the sort of thing bikes and bollox, I don’t think that I’ve laughed so much in ages, as the topics were shall we say pretty diverse, one of which I’ve eluded to above in enlightening moments!
Oh and while I remember, Graham (SGR) had revealed himself to us……………………………….
As my Mum used to say, you can leave those thoughts in the gutter where you found them because when I say he revealed himself I didn’t mean by showing off his Gentleman’s vegetables I meant revealed himself as a closet 1200 GS fancier, as he has just bought himself a nice new Red one; congratulations again mate I hope that you enjoy it.
Now without getting all gay one of the great things about our merry band of men and women is that people make an effort, none so much as Udders, who despite coming with us on the ride out out the following day, made the effort to come over to say hello on both the Friday and Saturday evenings, and on Saturday brought his wife and son along.
GB drove over and kindly brought over some some beer and wine, which must have been awful for him as he looked over the bikes knowing that he is [fingers well and truly crossed] temporarily out of action, I know how I’d feel if it was me, it must be like a starving man looking through a restaurant window, please God he’ll be slinging a leg over his bike soon.

GB enjoying a beer and banter.

Last but not least Mark (Quadders) despite being bikeless or quadless at the moment, drove over from Stowmarket to say Hi; I’d also like to say thank you to the man who road the 35 odd miles to be with us under pedal power, James (Ipswichbiker) 70 or so miles there and back plus 60 on Saturday well done fella you have my admiration, so to all of you mentioned above your efforts in attending made the event even more special.
As the evening drew to a close we turned in for the night, but I’ve never fallen asleep giggling like I did on Friday night, all I could here was Barry (Africamadness) laughing to himself which in turn triggered my giggling.
As it turned out he was trying to perform star jumps in his tent in an attempt to warm up before he went to sleep, but he was slightly inebriated and kept falling over and laughing at himself.

Both of the following pictures are courtesy of PaulC. thanks mate.

James(Ipswichbiker) on the right sitting with Graham (SGR) taking a well deserved rest.

Evening falls over the camp.

Oh that’s how the Safari got it’s name #1

04.30 and apart from the usual herd of Bison noises coming from the temporary tented population doing their best to be louder than the dawn chorus, the Zoo’s animal population decided to join in too.
I can honestly say that I’ve never heard the animals being quite so loud or indeed with so many of them competing for morning air time, Chris Evans eat your heart out.
Dawn saw the skies covered in lightish cloud, however as the morning wore on the sun was winning the battle for supremacy, which although we wanted dry weather we knew that this was going to be a hot ride with nowhere to hide.

Lawrence of Anglia or TP Lawrence if you prefer.

Udders aboard his DR 350 and his friend Simon aboard a rather tasty Husqvarna 310 arrived at 09.30 ready for the off, and with a quick brief and line up for a team photo we headed out towards the first trails.
Thank you SGR for forwarding the following pictures.

A quick briefing.

All kitted up.

Team photo before the off.

Dan leads off the motley crew.

I must say that the cooling breeze was most welcome as we rode through the meandering country roads, perhaps it’s just me but everything seemed to take on an extra depth of colour, from the luscious greens of the grasses trees and hedgerows, to the blueness of the wide East Anglian skies, it was one of those days that it’s great to be alive and sharing with your mates and bikes.
At this point I will say that due to one thing or another I never got to take as many pictures as I’d either planned or have liked to so apologies in advance, however I do believe that I’ve captured everyone at one stage or another, so it’s not all bad.

I'm not going to caption each of the following pictures as you know who you are, so at the first trail head I went ahead. (As usual if there are any that you require let me know and I'll e mail them over to you.)
I hope that you like them.

Now don’t get me wrong I like wearing my helmet , however some of the trails should have required a slightly different dress code in the form of the Smegh or Arabian headdress; I swear that in parts the riding was more akin to riding blind in a sand storm, visibility was shortened to such an extent that the person in front became a mysterious ghostly dark shadow moving around in the thick clouds of dust, the trails all but disappeared in front of you, with the once blue skies becoming taupe, which reminds me I really must take a look at my bikes air filter as it must have quite a bit of dust stuck to it now.

Captured by Dan from Toms GoPro #1..Thanks Guys.

#2 Somewhere ahead of the rider there are more bikes disappearing into the dust clouds.

#3 Pictures can't convey just how thick the dust was.

A quick stop

While waiting for some of the group to fuel up, Ferdie had a quick blast up one of the trails.

While some of us had a quick smoke.

Fueled up and another trail unfolds in front of us.

Mounting excitement

Does anyone remember the prayer to Trailus?

Oh Lord God Trailus I humbly submit myself and my machine as a sacrifice in honour of your greatness .

A little bit further on I passed Ben standing sentry at a trail turn pointing the way al la 2nd man drop off, to which I cought up with Dan and Ferdie waiting at a junction for the rest of the group to catch up.
I dismounted and readied myself to take some more pictures ( they would have been nice too, with the trail, green fields and a nice little church in the background) however it wasn’t to be.
After waiting for a while I shouted over to Dan that we should give them 5 more mins then go back and look for them.

Dan and Ferdie waiting at the junction.
5mins gone so I rode back from whence I came and sent Ben down to meet Dan and Ferdie; further down the trail I saw Simons Husky parked by the entrance to the woods but no Simon, so I stopped sounded my horn and waited to no avail; had he broken down, or was his bike pointing me into the woods?
I decided on the latter and had a nice ride through however there wasn’t a sign of anyone let alone a group of bikes, so I turned around and rode back through only to be greeted by Simon walking down the track just ahead of me.
Apparently OB1’s bike had become cross rutted leaving man and machine in the dirt, Udders was following but with OB1’s bike across both tracks he had nowhere to go but over them with his DR mounting the Tiger, sending Udders over the bars.
Thankfully there were no serious injuries with Anthony (Udders) getting a sore shoulder and Dave (OB1) gaining a sore leg for their troubles; Paul’s pictures have captured the aftermath, www.adventuretrailrider.com/forum/50-atr...241-safari-2014-pics

Again captured from the GopPro.

Metal mayhem, OB1 and Udders bikes entangled on the trail.

OB1 aboard the Tiger showing no signs of the previous carnage.

SteveR and the NX400.

Tom on his trusty TT600............ Hang on what's that in the background?

I wonder is it a save or a pick up?

A little further on and Udders trusty DR coasted to a halt but despite our collective best efforts in stripping the kill switch twice, HT leads and cap, coil etc he reluctantly had to call it a day and have the bike recovered home, fingers crossed he gets it resolved soon.
OB1 was also to leave the group as he was now starting to feel the effects of the aforementioned pile up with his leg now giving him gyp.

Trying to fix Anthonys (Udders) DR, sadly this was to be the last that we saw of both Udders and OB1.

SteveR enjoying one of the fine trails.

Is that an oasis I see before me?

A very nice little trail.

Oh and one of me knackered but very happy.

The heat started to take it's toll on peoples concentration.

An hour or so later we were once again together as whole group minus of course Udders and OB1, when a little further on I managed to wash the front wheel out on my bike, nothing spectacular or fast the front tyre just didn’t grip as much as I’d anticipated and she slid out.
5 mins later and while riding down a flint strewn trail I was aware of something silver falling onto my left leg, a quick check of the cockpit and the Road Angel has gone AWOL.
A quick walk back up the trail and there it is in one piece save for a smashed screen; I’ve an inkling that I might have inadvertently dislodged the mounting when I dropped the bike earlier but never checked it, so two things to do when if I can get it repaired, #1 make sure it’s tight, #2 journey together some sort of leash, hey ho everyday is a school day.
WTF! You couldn’t make it up, a little further on and our leaders Road Angel also decides it too has had enough, with the charging system being goosed.
So we try and fit my charger to his bike still no good with my input plug being slightly too small; now these incidents wouldn’t be too bad except that upon returning home I was surprised to hear that SteveR’s sat nav had also goosed it’s self on the way home, so all in all it was electrically disastrous, 3 sat navs and a bike!
The show will go on….. And it did, with local knowledge and Paul C’s sat nav we made it to trails that were to turn out to be the last of the day.

Trying to fix the Dans SatNav

Hands up, after not riding for a few months my stamina was at an all time low and all that I craved was a drink and a shower , so we headed back to camp, with a few overheated riders and of course Trailus pleased with our sacrifices.

Hard core party animaals we are not, when the next morning a group of pensioners commented at quiet we were , they had been to a dance and sneeked passed our camp being careful not to wake us all up at approx 23.00 - 23.30 hrs!
Personally I think that I’ve discovered the meaning of properly fu knackered, as I could have slept on a washing line.

Oh that’s how the Safari got it’s name #2

The next morning I woke at 06.30 with SGR up and already bright eyed and bushy tailed followed by the rest of the camp.
The hard core element Dan, Tom Paul, and Fredie decided on doing more trails, SteveR had to make tracks for the return slog to Saffordshire, and James setting off for his 35 mile cycle ride (Oh how I don’t envy him that ride), SGR packed up and headed home while Ben and I (more me than him) took our sweet time in packing up and getting ready to go, and boy am I pleased that we did.
As you know the Safari takes it’s name from the Zoo and of course the animal calls and noises, but the following pictures really made my Safari A Safari.

Can you see what I'm trying to photograph?

I was delighted when we spotted a Golden Eagle while in Scotland a few years ago, such a rare beautiful and noble animal, but an American Bald Eagle soaring effortlessly around our Norfolk camp site, that is something that I’ll remember with great fondness forever.

This is something else.

Sorry if the pictures aren't great but trying to focus on the move [and that Eagle certainly can move], plus trying to get it in the viewfinder against a sunny blue sky while my hands were shaking with excitement was the best that I could do.

The last couple of pictures before it disappeared behind the tree lines.

So once again we fired up and pointed the bikes homeward, as per the trip over totally uneventful save for two things, well more like spotted really.
Ben asked if it was that Tom that we saw about 10 miles from the camp, and while parked up in a layby about 12 miles the other side of Thetford Mark (Quadder) zoomed by in his M3 enjoying the sunshine.
We arrived home and I took one last picture of the loaded bikes, then it was a quick shower cup of tea and a sit down for me while Ben fired up his Ducati and went for a ride, Oh to be young again.

Finally a huge thank you to all of you who attended and made this Safari the best one yet.

Just one final thought, I wonder if there were 4 satnav failures? with the Bald Eagles unit also goosed and perhaps mistook Norfolk England for Norfolk Virginia?

Until the next time.

TP
THE END OF THE ROAD IS THE START OF THE FUN
Last Edit: 6 years, 4 months ago by Trevor Pastrami.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanH, OB1, Outsider, Twintec, steveR

Re: The Thetford Safari 2014 6 years, 4 months ago #8313

• Ben600
  • Administrator
Cracking write up TP!

Thanks again to everyone who made it such a great event I must say, it was good to make some new friends and to see the rest of the guys again.

Edit: is it my Laptop, or have some of the photo links broken?
We’re not here for a long time, we’re here for a good time.

My Mum is running the Peterborough 5k Race for life for forum member Trevor Pastrami (Dad) Donate Here>>> www.justgiving.com/dottyhagerty <<<
Last Edit: 6 years, 4 months ago by Ben600.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trevor Pastrami

The Thetford Safari 2014 6 years, 4 months ago #8314

• Outsider
  • Desert Raider
Up to the usual standard, TP!
For the record, it was a save. There's no way I could pick it up from that position

- Outsider

Edit: Pics seem to be working for me.

Edit 2: TP, could you email the pics of me and the group shots please, when you get chance. I want to add them to my screensaver folder
Last Edit: 6 years, 4 months ago by Outsider.

Re: The Thetford Safari 2014 6 years, 4 months ago #8315

• Udders
  • Desert Raider
Great write up TP! Sorry for causing the long delay with my bike. Thanks again to those who tried to sort it.

Re: The Thetford Safari 2014 6 years, 4 months ago #8316

• ferdie
  • Desert Raider
  • 'its in my blood and I can't seem to get it out'
Very good TP you are quite the novelist aren't you !
I've been able to click on the pics and just save them. All one featuring me and one group shot are now all on Facebook
Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you're gonna be up again. But life goes on.

The Thetford Safari 2014 6 years, 4 months ago #8318

• Outsider
  • Desert Raider
ferdie wrote:
I've been able to click on the pics and just save them. All one featuring me and one group shot are now all on Facebook

I think they're lower resolution versions, though. I'd like the originals, as they look much better at full screen (screen savers). Is that correct TP?

- Outsider

Re: The Thetford Safari 2014 6 years, 4 months ago #8319

• steveR
  • Dirt Racer
A crackin' ride report, I feel like I was there... Oh yep, I was, even if I missed the star jumping Barry!!! Thanks for the pics and memories TP!

Highpoints? Lots.... Miles and miles of whoops! Great fun. Totally new scenery and farming to look at. A really great new bunch of guys to ride and gab with!!! Cheers guys

Finding out that the body remembered how to ride off road and staying upright! Finding out that the NX4 works quite well, even if the seat is still crap on a long trip:-)

Low points? The dust!!!!! I cannot remember anything so bad, I'll bring a dust mask next time Regrets that I missed the Sunday ride as I needed to get back.

Bring on next time...
Steve
Last Edit: 6 years, 4 months ago by steveR.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trevor Pastrami, Twintec

Re: The Thetford Safari 2014 6 years, 4 months ago #8321

• Twintec
  • Administrator
As ever TP, you're the man for the ride reports! Excellent write up and has done justice to a great weekend.

Stand by for more of my videos, one uploading as we speak.
If you only have one plug, it needs to be a good plug!
July 14 - still true, but now have two plugs!

Re: The Thetford Safari 2014 6 years, 4 months ago #8324

Outsider wrote:
ferdie wrote:

I think they're lower resolution versions, though. I'd like the originals, as they look much better at full screen (screen savers). Is that correct TP?

- Outsider

As far as I'm aware that is correct; someone on here told me that can't remember who but it could have been Dave?

Re: The Thetford Safari 2014 6 years, 4 months ago #8325

Udders wrote:
Great write up TP! Sorry for causing the long delay with my bike. Thanks again to those who tried to sort it.

Don't be sorry mate, it all adds to the day,.
To be honest I'm more sorry that we couldn't get the bike going for you.
Any luck with it?

Re: The Thetford Safari 2014 6 years, 4 months ago #8327

Twintec wrote:
As ever TP, you're the man for the ride reports! Excellent write up and has done justice to a great weekend.

Stand by for more of my videos, one uploading as we speak.

Looking forward to seeing them mate.

Re: The Thetford Safari 2014 6 years, 4 months ago #8332

• Udders
  • Desert Raider
Trevor Pastrami wrote:
Udders wrote:

Don't be sorry mate, it all adds to the day,.
To be honest I'm more sorry that we couldn't get the bike going for you.
Any luck with it?

No, not yet. I'm away at the World Superbikes now at Donnington until sunday night now too. Gonna be next monday till I get to try again.

Re: The Thetford Safari 2014 6 years, 4 months ago #8356

• DanH
  • Administrator
An excellent Ride Report mate, I thoroughly enjoyed reading that. It makes me wish I was back there right now, maybe next weekend, eh.
Take the Byway not the Highway

Re: The Thetford Safari 2014 6 years, 4 months ago #8361

DanH wrote:
An excellent Ride Report mate, I thoroughly enjoyed reading that. It makes me wish I was back there right now, maybe next weekend, eh.

Thanks mate,
Next weekend sounds good to me.

Re: The Thetford Safari 2014 6 years, 3 months ago #8585

Great write up, I had a great time right up until I woke up with a collosal hangover. Two lessons learnt, first,do not do star jumps in a tent in the dark when you can barely stand up, secondly, do not get hammered when you are on a bike weekend.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.83 seconds
A universal equivalent was considered by mechanically. Additionally profiting from the cialis cheapest price On of the most often documented side outcomes with Cialis were headache, upset abdomen, buy tadalafil Viagra may also be known to cause some unwanted effects that are usually quite moderate. Such cheap price viagra Based on MSNBC.com, analysts state that, "it is highly viagra online 200mg How can this be said by people? It obviously is a gate way medicine. Im-not some narc either. I buy cialis 20mg Tadalafil for Premature Ejaculation Now, allow get back to Tantra Yoga, a natural option. cialis cheapest Which are the causes of an Erectile Dysfunction? There are purchase cialis We also have our peculiar standard of beauty thats the smoothness of the face area. As excavations buy tadalafil 80mg Therefore I went to the diabetes doctor and timidly buying cialis 10. Helps Maintain Great Cholesterol Fight Heart Disease We can get all essential infos about each. online buy viagra