Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Help me Norm De Plume you're my only hope...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Help me Norm De Plume you're my only hope...

Help me Norm De Plume you're my only hope... 9 years ago #3224

Hi Norm,
I remember seeing you with a garmin 60csx or similar last year and Ive got a question you might know the answer to. Im running Mapsource 6.16.3 and ive downloaded a route through France from www.morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/showthread.php?t=105


When I load it up in Mapsource over a Europe base map it follows all the roads and when I transfer to my 60csx with the same base map it goes point to point and doesnt follow the roads. Ive faffed around a fair bit but I dont seem to be able to get it to auto route onto the roads. I can just make my own version of the route on using the route tool and setting the points manually but is there something im missing? In the route menu ive selected the named route and pressed the menu button again to select the profile and set it to use road data. Its either taking a very long time to calculate the route or its just stuck...

Re: Help me Norm De Plume you're my only hope... 9 years ago #3230

<Spits drink over screen, laughing at vision of IpswichBiker dressed up as Princess Leia>

I suspect that it's a basemap problem - satnav software is notorious for getting shirty when transferring routes that don't align with the basemap because they recalculate out of kilter. I'll bring my lappy (and my 60CSx) with me this weekend and we can have a chat round the campfire.
Last Edit: 9 years ago by Norm De Plume.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ipswichbiker

Re: Help me Norm De Plume you're my only hope... 9 years ago #3239

  • SGR
  • OFFLINE
  • Dirt Racer
  • Posts: 367
What a hero geek ! Nice one
SGR
BMW 1200 LC GSA
Husky WRE 125
Live to ride, ride to live.

Re: Help me Norm De Plume you're my only hope... 9 years ago #3242

Looking at the problem more closely, it's probably a case of the way that the 60CSx works. I only ever use the 60CSx routing to get me to the nearest petrol station or the start of a trail etc. I don't think it has the sort of more sophisticated routing with itineraries etc. that you get on road-oriented satnavs, so you have to play to its strengths.

I suggest the following:
Store the waypoints for the route in the 60CSX and as you pass each one, use 'find' to lock in on the next. Give them numbers so that you can work through them in order. This is best done in Mapsource or you'll be there all night and suffer from a bad case of texter's thumb afterwards.
Also, plan the route in Mapsource, save it and then use something like GPSBabel to convert the route into a track. Make sure that you call the track "ACTIVE LOG 001". You can then load this back into Mapsource and into the 60CSx. Using that name for the track will overwrite the internal track log but that track can contain about 10000 points, unlike the named tracks which can only hold about 250 or 500 points each.
Please bear in mind that the default track log size is too small for geeks - go into the settings menu, then 'Map' and use the right arrow to select the page that is called "Map Setup - Tracks" and change the value in "Track Points" to 10000.

Doing the above will give you a decent amount of flexibility, with the option of some routing and a "follow the breadcrumbs" trail to keep you heading in the right direction.

By the way, as this is for your Morocco trip, are you taking a netbook or similar with you? You will want to be backing up your track logs as you go and you definitely don't want to use my trick of overwriting the active log for the return leg and then realise that you've wiped the record of your trip! I'd strongly recommend getting a computer with an SSD hard drive - normal hard drives are resistant to vibration when turned off but they can still fail, so solid state is the way to go.
Last Edit: 9 years ago by Norm De Plume.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ipswichbiker

Re: Help me Norm De Plume you're my only hope... 9 years ago #3243

  • SGR
  • OFFLINE
  • Dirt Racer
  • Posts: 367
OMG looks like R2D2 replied
BMW 1200 LC GSA
Husky WRE 125
Live to ride, ride to live.

Re: Help me Norm De Plume you're my only hope... 9 years ago #3244

  • GB
  • OFFLINE
  • Dakar Legend
  • Posts: 1288
SGR wrote:
OMG looks like R2D2 replied


Rather be loud than lazy......

Re: Help me Norm De Plume you're my only hope... 9 years ago #3249

SGR wrote:
OMG looks like R2D2 replied


You should hear me when I get technical!
Last Edit: 9 years ago by Norm De Plume.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SGR

Re: Help me Norm De Plume you're my only hope... 9 years ago #3259

Norm De Plume wrote:
Looking at the problem more closely, it's probably a case of the way that the 60CSx works. I only ever use the 60CSx routing to get me to the nearest petrol station or the start of a trail etc. I don't think it has the sort of more sophisticated routing with itineraries etc. that you get on road-oriented satnavs, so you have to play to its strengths.

I suggest the following:
Store the waypoints for the route in the 60CSX and as you pass each one, use 'find' to lock in on the next. Give them numbers so that you can work through them in order. This is best done in Mapsource or you'll be there all night and suffer from a bad case of texter's thumb afterwards.
Also, plan the route in Mapsource, save it and then use something like GPSBabel to convert the route into a track. Make sure that you call the track "ACTIVE LOG 001". You can then load this back into Mapsource and into the 60CSx. Using that name for the track will overwrite the internal track log but that track can contain about 10000 points, unlike the named tracks which can only hold about 250 or 500 points each.
Please bear in mind that the default track log size is too small for geeks - go into the settings menu, then 'Map' and use the right arrow to select the page that is called "Map Setup - Tracks" and change the value in "Track Points" to 10000.

Doing the above will give you a decent amount of flexibility, with the option of some routing and a "follow the breadcrumbs" trail to keep you heading in the right direction.

By the way, as this is for your Morocco trip, are you taking a netbook or similar with you? You will want to be backing up your track logs as you go and you definitely don't want to use my trick of overwriting the active log for the return leg and then realise that you've wiped the record of your trip! I'd strongly recommend getting a computer with an SSD hard drive - normal hard drives are resistant to vibration when turned off but they can still fail, so solid state is the way to go.


Hi Norm,
Thanks for your post although it has raised a few more questions. Why is a track better than a route? Also why would I want to back up my track logs? Im asking these questions from the position of a gps novice. Im not trying to be funny or disagree I literally dont know. And I wasnt planning on taking a netbook with me.

Im going to use the 60csx this weekend for the first time and leave the satmap at home. The base maps im using came from garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ as the unit was loaded with the US base maps. Ive also downloaded the olaf Morocco map. Ive know enough to have both maps on the unit's SD card. The active map is called gmapsupp.img and ive re-named the other morocco.img can be renamed at a later date to make it the active map.
Last Edit: 9 years ago by ipswichbiker.

Re: Help me Norm De Plume you're my only hope... 9 years ago #3260

ipswichbiker wrote:


Hi Norm,
Thanks for your post although it has raised a few more questions. Why is a track better than a route? Also why would I want to back up my track logs? Im asking these questions from the position of a gps novice. Im not trying to be funny or disagree I literally dont know. And I wasnt planning on taking a netbook with me.

Im going to use the 60csx this weekend for the first time and leave the satmap at home. The base maps im using came from garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ as the unit was loaded with the US base maps. Ive also downloaded the olaf Morocco map. Ive know enough to have both maps on the unit's SD card. The active map is called gmapsupp.img and ive re-named the other morocco.img can be renamed at a later date to make it the active map.


Hi there!

Why is a track better than a route? Well, to be honest for road riding, a route is better. However, I don't think that there is a way to do routing on the 60CSx as well as a road-oriented unit like the Zumo, and I think that using a track combined with waypoints is probably the next best thing.

Why save the track logs? There are a number of reasons. The first is simple sentimentality: this is the trip of a lifetime (or at least the Morocco bit is) in which case many people would like to have the log as a memento. Then there's the deniability aspect - if you are accused of doing something wrong, having a GPS log saying that you were elsewhere or travelling at less than a certain speed could help. Also, if you pass some landmark and don't get to save the waypoint for later, at least you can go back to the track log and try to work out where that was. For me, it's just force of habit to save my track logs.

You should consider bringing a netbook with you - if there is a planning problem along the way and you are relying on the satnav more than you should (admit it, we all do it!), it makes a big difference. The last time I did a major trip I had just bought my Zumo and it was only on the second day that I realised the waypoints for my mate's Route-des-Grandes-Alpes trip were South-to-North and reversing the route was not going to work trivially. Garmins are very powerful satnavs, but mostly because they benefit from the use of a PC, and in our case that meant borrowing a laptop from some friendly Germans to sort the route out

Don't worry about asking questions, if I remember correctly you're a teacher and would rather that people asked questions because it makes learning is so much better.

There are some tools that you may want to check out for dealing with garmin basemaps, but that's definite campfire discussion material.
Last Edit: 9 years ago by Norm De Plume.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ipswichbiker

Re: Help me Norm De Plume you're my only hope... 9 years ago #3262

Ive just manually made a route on mapsource that follows the same roads and it only took 15 mins. Ive just transfered it across and it now follows the roads (mostly). Look forward to some more advice at Banham. James

Re: Help me Norm De Plume you're my only hope... 9 years ago #3304

ipswichbiker wrote:
Ive just manually made a route on mapsource that follows the same roads and it only took 15 mins. Ive just transfered it across and it now follows the roads (mostly). Look forward to some more advice at Banham. James


The Force is strong in this young Padiwan.

See you there.
  • Page:
  • 1
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Cialis relaxes muscles inside the penis. By discount cialis online Viagra® customers might get cyanopsia, a person may complain that everything they view it it blue.In. cheap cialis Amidst all of the hoopla that Viagra created especially among their companions as well as the impotent males. buying generic cialis Impotence is a condition that affects more males today cheap generic cialis 10. Helps Maintain Great Cholesterol Fight Heart Disease We can online buy viagra Another extremely important advantage of the online pharmacy is the characteristic of supplying the levitra online cheap Purchasing is uncomplicated International Online Pharmacies Appropriate your expectation.. order generic cialis I wanted a long term alternative for my clients and patients, that said. One that had all buy cialis online Suffering pain of any kind is like a bane that each person experience at buy viagra overnight Based on MSNBC.com, analysts state that, "it is highly improbable that national regulators might viagra online 200mg